The Bachelor of Arts in History (AB History) is a four-year degree program in the Philippines that deals with the study of events from the past.
By taking this program, you’ll learn about the different civilizations that existed throughout history – the people that composed them, their basic structures, their relationship with one another, the transformations they went through, and their roles and impact on the society we know today.
Among the topics that will be discussed during the course of your study are:
- Major Asian and Western civilizations such as the Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Babylonian, Incan, Mayan, Aztec, and Chinese civilizations;
- Important periods in history such as the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, the Reformation, the Industrial and Scientific Revolutions;
- and the different political and economic concepts that were born during these times such as imperialism, colonialism, socialism, communism, and fascism.
It will also cover the different types of governments that existed during these periods such as empires, monarchies, aristocracies, commonwealths, and republics; and the major wars and conflicts that happened during their reign such as World Wars 1 and 2, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, and the Cold War between the USSR and the United States.
Some of the courses that are usually included in the curriculum are:
- Philosophy of History
- Historical Methodology
- Introduction to the Study and Writing of History
- Survey of Asian Civilizations
- Survey of Western Civilizations
- History of the United States
- Modern and Contemporary Europe
- Modern East Asia
- Mainland Southeast Asia
- Island Southeast Asia
- Islamic History as Global History
- Economic History of the Philippines
- Cultural History of the Philippines
- Nationalism and Revolution
In addition to taking these subjects, an On-the-Job Training may also give you the chance to work with historical records and other important documents managed by public and private archives, libraries, museums, and other similar facilities.
AB History graduates can find employment as any of the following:
- Professional Historian
- School Administrator
- Museum Staff
- Historical Researcher
- Historical Consultant
- Legal Aide
- Diplomatic Service