Bachelor of Library and Information Science in the Philippines
The Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS) is a four-year degree program in the Philippines that will teach you about the different sources of information, how to acquire them, and how to develop and maintain a collection of reference materials. It will also teach you how to manage small and large-scale libraries including management of library facilities, equipment, finances, and library personnel.
Some examples of courses that you may take while enrolled in this program include:
- Introduction to Library and Information Science
- Collection Management
- Organization of Information Sources
- Information Sources and Services
- Library and Information Management
- Indexing and Abstracting
- Information Technology
- Research Methods in Library and Information Science
- Special Materials
- Library Literature for Children and Young Adults
- School Library Media Centers
- Academic Libraries
- Special Libraries
- Public Libraries
- Archives Management
- Library Practice
In addition to taking the courses mentioned above, you may also be required to undergo a minimum of 200 hours of On-the-Job Training at public and private libraries in order to give you a first-hand experience of the tasks and responsibilities you will be expected to perform and handle once you’ve become a part of the workforce.
Qualified graduates of Bachelor of Library and Information Science can work as any of the following:
- Information Scientist
- Media or Audio Visual Specialist
- College Professor
Passing the licensure examination for Librarians is one of the requirements in seeking employment in the field of library and information science. Please visit the official website of the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) for more information.
- Top Performing Schools in the November 2012 Librarian Licensure Examination
- Top Performing Schools in the November 2011 Librarian Licensure Examination
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines - Sta. Mesa (Main Campus)
- Saint Louis University
- University of San Agustin
Did you take this course?