Bachelor of Secondary Education in the Philippines
The Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSEd) is a four-year degree program in the Philippines that will prepare you in teaching in secondary school.
It has several areas of specialization: English, Filipino, Islamic Studies, Mathematics, Music, Arts, Physical and Health Education (MAPEH), Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Social Studies, Technology and Livelihood Education, and Values Education.
Some examples of courses that you may take while enrolled in this program include:
- Physical Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Social Studies
- Music, Arts, and Physical Education
- Technology and Livelihood Education
- Islamic Studies
- Values Education
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Facilitating Learning
- Social Dimensions of Education
- The Teaching Professions
- Principles of Teaching
- Assessment of Student Learning
- Educational Psychology
- Curriculum Development
- Educational Technology
- Developmental Reading
- Practice Teaching
- Teaching Multigrade Classes (Elective)
- Teaching Multicultural Classrooms (Elective)
- Problem-Based Teaching (Elective)
- Teaching Indigenous People (Elective)
- Topics on Distance Learning (Elective)
There are also Field Study courses in the program where you will have the chance to observe and be involved in different activities in actual school settings where you can practice what you have learned before you graduate.
Qualified graduates of Bachelor of Secondary Education can find employment as a High School teacher for both public and private High Schools.
Passing the Teachers Licensure Examination is one of the requirements in seeking employment in the field of education. Please visit the official website of the Professional Regulatory Commission for more information.