MEXT Teacher Training Scholarship
MEXT Teacher Training Scholarship
Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan
- Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. Selection is conducted at facilities such as the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General (hereinafter “Japanese legation”) located in the country of the applicant’s nationality. (This shall not necessarily be applied in cases where one embassy covers multiple nations.)
- Applicants must meet the age requirement. (Please contact JICC using the contact numbers below for more information.)
- Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at elementary or secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools in their home countries for at least five years in total, as of the date that will be set by MEXT. (In-service university faculty members are not eligible.)
- Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese and receive research guidance in Japanese. Applicants must also have the ability to do research in Japanese and adapt to living in Japan.
- Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disability that would be an impediment to the pursuit of study.
- Applicants must definitely be able to arrive in Japan within two weeks counted from the starting day of the study course set by the university in Japan (usually October) and the period set by the accepting university. (If the applicant arrives in Japan before the designated period for any reason, their expenses for travel to Japan will not be covered by the government, and if the applicant cannot arrive in Japan during the designated period, the applicant must resign).
- Applicants are required to acquire “College Student” (ryugaku) visa when they come to Japan. Moreover, in exceptional cases when successful applicants have been residing in Japan before their acceptance under a status other than “College Student” and are to change their visa status within Japan, they must acquire a “College Student” visa by the end of the month prior to the month in which they are scheduled to start receiving the scholarship. Furthermore, note that those who change their visa status to something other than “College Student” after arriving in Japan will also lose their qualifications to be Japanese Government Scholarship recipients from the date when they change their visa status.
- Scholarship recipients must be able to apply the results of their research on school education in Japan to their teaching after they return to their home country as well by becoming reinstated after they return to their home country.
- Those who currently qualify as military personnel or military civilian employees.
- Those who can not arrive in Japan during the period designated by the university.
- Applicants who have been awarded a Japanese Government Scholarship in the past will not be selected as recipients unless at least three years have passed since the first of the month following the final receipt of the previous scholarship, as of the date that will be set by MEXT. (Please contact JICC for more information)
- Recipients of scholarships from other institutions (including from his/her own government) will not be selected as recipients of Japanese Government Scholarships.
Note: Study/training is implemented only for university/training courses indicated in the pamphlet “Course Guidebook for Teacher Training,” distributed at Japanese legations overseas. (The Course Guidebook will also be available on the MEXT website.
Applicants must submit the following documents together to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General by the required date. The submitted documents will not be returned.
- 2 Original copies of application form (prescribed forms)
- 1 Original copy of application form – Annex ( prescribed form)
- 3 Original copies of photographs or digital image (Size: 4.5×3.5 cm, upper half of body, full-faced, hatless) taken within the past 6 months (should be pasted on the application forms and Annex) 3
- 1 Original copy and 1 photocopy of certified grade transcript for each academic year and the diploma from the last university attended (issued by that university).
- 1 Original copy and 1 photocopy of recommendation from the present employer (any form will be accepted)
- 1 Original copy and 1 photocopy of certificate of employment (issued by the present place of employment)
- 1 Original copy and 1 photocopy of medical certificate on the prescribed form
Note 1: Please choose universities, training courses (general course or advanced program) and field which you wish to attend from among those indicated in the pamphlet “Course Guide for Teacher Training Students,” to be mailed by separately, and write them down on the application form (Annex). (The Course Guide will also be available on the MEXT website.)
Note 2: These documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translations in either of these languages should be attached.
Note 3: Regarding the diploma mentioned, a photocopy thereof may be an acceptable substitute. However, this should be attested by the school authority concerned.
Note 4: No application will be considered unless the aforementioned application and all other documents are fully and correctly completed.
Japan Information and Culture Center (JICC)
Embassy of Japan
2627 Roxas Boulevard, 1300 Pasay City, Philippines
Phone: 551-5710 Ext. 2314/2316 Fax: 551-5784
*Note: The MEXT scholarship is offered annually. The information provided above were taken from the requirements/qualifications/guidelines for the 2012 Teacher Training Scholarship selection process which recently ended. Some of these information may or may not have changed. For best results, please contact JICC to verify if the same requirements/qualifications/guidelines would still apply for the Teacher Training Scholarship for 2013.
Last Modified: May 16, 2012