Bachelor of Science in Nursing in the Philippines
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is a four-year degree program in the Philippines that revolves around caring for the sick or injured. This does not only involve addressing immediate threats to the patient’s health, but also guiding the patient all the way through physical, mental, and emotional recovery.
As a nursing student you will be trained to conduct health assessments, provide patients with preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative care, perform life-saving interventions, respond to disaster and emergency situations, and keep medical documentations.
Through the course of your study, you will learn how to perform first aid techniques, take care of wounds, prepare and administer drugs, feed patients through intravenous tubes, monitor vital signs, and care for patients with special needs such as those with physical disabilities, mental illnesses (Alzheimer’s disease), developmental disorders (autism), recurring illnesses, and patients who are only awaiting death.
In addition to those, you will also be introduced to the administrative side of nursing such as the organizational structures of hospitals, patient classification systems, delegation of tasks, staffing, scheduling, and performance evaluation.
Some examples of subjects that you may take while enrolled in this program include:
- Care of Mother, Child, and Family
- Community Health Nursing
- Microbiology and Parasitology
- Care of Mother, Child, Family, and Population Group at Risk or with Problems
- Nutrition and Diet Therapy
- Health Education
- Care of Clients with Problems in Oxygenation, Fluid and Electrolyte Balance, Metabolism, and Endocrine
- Care of Clients with Problems in Inflammatory and Immunologic Response, Perception, and Coordination
- Care of Patients with Maladaptive Patterns of Behavior
- Care of Clients with Problems in Cellular Aberrations, Acute Biologic Crisis Including Emergency and Disaster Nursing
- Competency Appraisal
- Nursing Leadership and Management
- Nursing Research
Aside from taking the courses mentioned above, your school may also facilitate a minimum of 2346 hours of On-the-Job Training at hospitals, community clinics, or similar facilities in order to give you a chance to apply what you have learned in school in a professional setting.
Qualified graduates of BS Nursing can find employment as any of the following:
- Clinic Nurse
- Community Health Nurse
- Private Nurse
- Company Nurse
- School Nurse
- Military Nurse
- College Professor
Passing the Licensure Examination for Nurses is one of the requirements in seeking employment in the healthcare industry. Please visit the official website of the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) for more information.
- Top Performing Schools in the December 2012 Nurse Licensure Examination
- Top Performing Schools in the June 2012 Nurse Licensure Examination
- Adamson University
- Batangas State University - ARASOF (Nasugbu Campus)
- Bicol University - Legazpi
- Bicol University - Polangui Campus
- Bicol University - Tabaco Campus
Did you take this course?